The King’s College Golf Academy, in partnership with the Royal Auckland Golf Club and the Grange Golf Club, is open for membership to all interested students from Years 9 to 13 as the College and Royal Auckland and Grange Golf Club work together to nurture a pool of young aspiring golfers and home-grown talent.
It is an opportunity for King’s College to offer golf as a mainstream sport via a structured, professionally delivered and sustainable programme.
It will also provide an introduction to the game of golf and a pathway to Membership of the Royal Auckland and Grange Golf Club for students of King’s College through this vibrant and professionally managed King’s College Golf Academy.
- To introduce the game of golf and to make it accessible to boys and girls attending King’s College.
- To produce “home grown” talent and well-rounded sportsmen and women to represent the Club and the College at all levels.
- A clearly defined and professionally delivered golf development programme.
- A progression plan for those with golfing aspirations.
The King’s College Golf Academy is administered, from the Club’s side, by the Club’s Director of Golf and from the College’s side, by the Director of Sport and the Teacher in Charge of Golf.
Tuition is provided by accredited PGA Professionals who will be contracted by the Club to provide this tuition.
King’s College Golf Academy Programme
Term 1: February/March/April across 10 weeks
Term 2: April/May/June across 9 weeks
Term 3: July/August/September across 9 weeks
Term 4: October/November/December across 8 weeks
Lessons will take place on the following days and times on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3.30pm – 5pm during term time.
Students in the King’s College Golf Academy will be assessed on both golfing aptitude and golf related conduct.
Golfing aptitude: Assessed and reported on at the end of each term*
- Rip it: Driver and fairway woods
- Roll it: Putting
- Chip it: Chipping and Pitching
- Fly it: Iron play
- Blast it: Bunkers
- Bend it: Shaping the ball
Conduct: Monitored on an ongoing basis and reported on at the end of each term
- Personal behaviour
- Willingness to learn
- Dedication and commitment
- Rules, etiquette and care of the course
*A Skills Challenge model is used to assess playing ability and monitor progress.
- Annual RAGGC Membership $358
- Tuition and Supervision $800 per season (Terms 1 and 4, or Terms 2 and 3)
TOTAL ANNUAL COST $1,958 for a full season, or $1,158 for two terms.
Tuition and supervision is based on 72 sessions in the year at only $23 per student per session. Tuition is provided by accredited PGA Professionals.
Code of Conduct
King’s College Golf Academy students will be required to conduct themselves according to the rules of Royal Auckland and Grange Golf Club and play within the rules of the game of golf. Etiquette and manners of the highest order will be expected.
The following will be considered unacceptable and could result in action being taken against those who perpetrate:
- Abusive language or poor manners
- Throwing of golf clubs
- Disrespect towards Members or staff at the Club
- Not adhering to the Club’s dress code - Failing to comply with the “care of the course” requirements
- Wilful damage to Club property or that of a fellow player/member
- Use of electronic devices on the course or in the clubhouse
- Poor golf etiquette