Students enter into one of the three tiers (Foundational, Development and Competitive) of the programme depending on their ambitions and current competency level, progressing through these tiers over their time at King's.
Students are provided opportunities catered to their needs which will develop their physical literacy and competence in a safe and interactive manner. The Athletic Development programme aims to instil confidence within our students to participate in sports and general physical activity during their time at King’s and beyond.
Key skills taught through the programme include:
- How to exercise and train correctly
- How to use gym facilities safely
- How to execute the technical foundation of fundamental skills such as catching, throwing, kicking, passing and running
Through a variety of activities, students will gain the knowledge and experience required to make responsible and intuitive decisions on their own health, fitness and wellbeing. Provisional interventions and services of the programme include:
- Practical based modules within Junior Core PE curriculum
- Passport for Life (Physical Literacy Monitoring Protocol)
- Athletic Performance Class (Year 9 & 10)
- Access to individualised exercise plans
- Access to a fully functioning gym facility (Rolf Porter Fitness Centre)
- Access to a high-quality Strength Gym
For additional information, current students can refer to this Schoolbox page.
Current and prospective parents as well as any other members of the community with specific queries can contact Head of Athletic Development, Craig Brikbeck.