03 Sep 2019

Tuesday 03 September 2019

Read on for how our hockey, football and netball teams have fared so far. 

Fedcup021919 028


Boy’s First XI, Rankin Cup, Christchurch

Monday: The team beat Southland Boys High School 3-0 with two goals from Aiden Fraser (Year 12, Averill) and one from Charles Cleal (Year 12, Averill). 

Tuesday: The team plays its final two pool matches: 9.20am against Wairarapa College and at 4pm against New Plymouth Boys High School. If they finish in the top two in their group, they will have a last sixteen match on Wednesday at either 1.30pm or 3.15pm against one of King’s High School, Rosmini College, Wellington College or Whanganui High School.


Girls First XI, Federation Cup/Marie Fry Trophy, Auckland

Monday: The team lost 2-3 to Sacred Heart Girls’ College (Hamilton). The team went 2-0 up inside the first twenty minutes with two goals from Tiffany Horton (Year 13, Taylor), but then Sacred Heart scored three quick goals inside five minutes to win the game. 

As Miss Harpur said, this was an unfortunate loss in what the team thought would be the easiest game of their pool round. 

Tuesday: The team plays its final two pool matches: 8.30am against Baradene College and at 4.20pm against Rangi Ruru Girls. The first round of classification matches on Wednesday will see a game at either 2pm or 2.30pm if they are in the top two in their pool, or at 9.45am or 11.30am if they are in the bottom two in their pool.

Under 15 Boys, Tanner Cup, Hamilton

Sunday: beat Whanganui Collegiate 4-1

Monday: lost 0-3 to Westlake BHS

Tuesday: the team plays a quarter-final against Palmerston North BHS at 8.15am


Boys’ First XI, Lotto Premier Tournament, Napier

Monday: the team lost 0-4 to King’s High School (Dunedin) and lost 0-1 to Tauranga Boys College.

As Mr Potts said, "First up was a match against South Island namesakes King’s High School from Dunedin. The team and the coach had discussed a very specific way to play the match and to their credit the boys executed the game plan to a tee. Unfortunately with time up in the first half the referee awarded a very dubious penalty to King’s High School. Their striker stepped up and confidently smashed the ball in to the back of the net to give his side a 1-0 lead at halftime.

After a pep-talk at the interval the team came out firing and ready to chase the game. Unfortunately, in tangle of bodies in the opposition penalty box, Finn Rathbone (Year 13, Major) was deemed to have stamped on an opponent and the referee sent him off. Everyone (including the opposition) was shocked, particularly as the referee was facing the other way and didn’t see it…

In an attempt to chase the game the King’s boys allowed themselves to get rattled and unfortunately with only 10 men on the field they conceded some very soft second half goals to leave the score at 0-4 to King’s High School.

In the second game of the day King’s played against Tauranga Boys’ College knowing that we needed at least 1 point to give ourselves a chance of remaining in the top half of the draw. Unfortunately Tauranga scored a simple goal from a King’s mistake and the boys found themselves 0-1 after 15 minutes played. The goal seemed to spur the King’s boys in to life however and for the rest of the half they scrapped hard for everything.

The second half continued in a similar fashion. Tauranga had the better of the attacking opportunities but King’s refused to lie down and really fought hard with Jakob Pearson (Year 13, Parnell) making a number of gutsy saves. Unfortunately King’s was unable to find a goal and the match ended with a 0-1 loss.

Tuesday: the team plays its final pool match against Waimea College at 8.30am and then will play a classification match at 1.30pm. Further classification matches then follow on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

Football 2
Girls First XI, Lotto Premier Tournament, Christchurch

Monday: the team beat Wellington College 1-0 with a goal from Neha Prakash (Year 11, Taylor) but lost 0-11 to Mt Albert Grammar School, one of the top teams at the tournament. 

As Miss Bish said, "Game one against Wellington Girls saw our girls have a strong start to the tournament. Their defense was strong and any balls that made their way through were stopped by Maia Adams (Year 13, Taylor) who was awarded our MVP."

"Game two against MAGS saw a valiant effort defensively from our girls in the first half. With the loss of Winter Brown (Year 13, Taylor) in the second half due to injury the girls were tested and couldn’t match the physicality displayed by MAGS (who spectators said played the best they have all season). Unfortunately we went down 11-0. Scarlett Hunter (Year 12, Taylor) was awarded MVP of the match for her defensive efforts including a number of brilliant challenges."

Tuesday: the team plays its final pool match at 10.30am against St Andrew’s College and will then play a classification match at either 1.30pm or 3pm. Further classification matches then follow on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

Netball Tournament Week
Premier Netball, Upper North Island Premier Netball C grade tournament, North Harbour Netball

Monday: the team lost 22-26 to Te Puke High School and lost 20-30 to Paeroa College

Tuesday: the team meets Otamatea High School at 10am followed by a classification match on Tuesday afternoon. 

You can find the team's game times at: http://www.uniss.co.nz if you fancy coming and joining them on the sunny north shore this week.