06 Aug 2020

Thursday 06 August 2020

King’s College vs Mount Albert Grammar School – 7.00pm 5th August at King’s College.

Kcgramhock290720 004


This was a vital game as the winner would go through to the Super City competition starting next week.

The game started with King’s playing well with an attacking intent and were controlling possession well. This allowed probing attacks to be made into the MAGS defense. King’s could not score from the Penalty Corners (PC) that they were being awarded. After 11 minutes a field goal was finished well by Callum Mackay-Peters. The rest of the first half saw more attack from King’s but they could not finish off any of the opportunities that they were creating. Both teams were attacking well when they had possession, but turnovers were letting both teams down.

Half time score- King’s College 1        Mount Albert Grammar School 0

After discussing at half-time the need to continue the intent and skill shown in the first half as well as trusting the game plan that was working, both teams attacked well when in possession but both defense systems shut those forays down. MAGS were pressing harder on defense and created more pressure on the King’s players. 15 minutes into the half Max Stening dribbled the ball into the circle from the right-hand side, brought it back to the top and the reversed it past the keeper with a great shot.

Three minutes later King’s had a great attacking drive into the circle that eventuated in a stroke. Aiden Fraser successfully took the stroke to score his 100th goal for the King’s 1st XI. Five minutes later after another period on attack, Aiden Fraser dribbled the ball past four defenders into the circle to score a very good goal. 

Full time score- King’s College 4         Mount Albert Grammar School 0

A good all-round game. MAGS took it to King’s in the second half but the skill level and game plan got King’s through into the Super City competition.

Aiden Fraser scoring his 100th goal for the 1st XI is an outstanding achievement.

Kerry Baker