14 Oct 2020

Wednesday 14 October 2020

King’s College played in the Northern Region Tournament that was put on by NZ Hockey the last three days of the second week of the holidays. This was in place of tournament week which was cancelled due to the Auckland COVID-19 outbreak.

Northhk091020 072

The first game was played against Mount Albert Grammar School (who happened to be the last competition game that we played) and King’s led 2-0 at halftime with goals from Zak Swain (Year 11 Selwyn) and a stroke from captain Aiden Fraser (Year 13, Averill).

Four more goals were scored in the second half. Two were penalty corners by Aiden and a field goal each to Scott Illerbrun (Year 9, School) and Callum Mackay-Peters (Year 13, Peart). A good team performance to start the tournament and debuts for James McGuire (Year 10, Averill), Ben Wigmore (Year 9, Marsden) and Abbas Jiwanji (Year 11, Parnell) who had never played in goal before but was our goal-keeper for the tournament.

We had the Bye in the afternoon of the first day.

The second day saw a hard-fought close game with Saint Kentigern College. The halftime score was 1-1 with Scott having scored a great field goal. Two minutes into the second half Aiden converted a PC with a fantastic reverse stick shot. SKC scored from a stroke with 11 minutes to go and in the last 20 seconds got a PC that they scored from to win 3-2.

The afternoon saw us play Whangarei Boy’s High School who have a very good hockey programme. Tom Lindberg (Year 11, Greenbank) scored two field goals in the first four minutes, but play was even after that to be 2-0 up at halftime. WBHS scored with 4 minutes to play to make the final score 2-1 to King’s.

The next morning we played Rosmini with the winner going into the final. Aiden scored from a PC after 4 minutes with Rosmini scoring at the 11 minute mark. Toby Irvine (Year 12, Greenbank) made a fantastic run with the ball from halfway, across and through the circle to flick a pass back inside to Scott for him to parry the ball into goal after 19 minutes to make the score 2-1 at half time. Rosmini scored in the first minute of the second half. Play was even between both teams for the next 14 minutes when Charles Cleal (Year 13, Averill) scored a field goal to take King’s to a 3-2 lead which they held on to.

The final was played against Saint Kentigern College and both teams played good hockey for the first 15 minutes. At that stage our captain Aiden badly injured his hamstring and was not able to continue. SKC scored two goals in the next five minutes to lead 2-0 at halftime. They scored three in the second half to eventually win 5-0.

To finish second in the tournament was a good effort and a pleasing way to farewell the Year 13 boys who are leaving - Aiden, Charles and Callum. The introduction to fast, tough 1st XI hockey for James and Ben was also positive. Abbas proved to be a huge find as a goalie who made some fantastic saves across games.

Aiden and Charles have both been fantastic members of the 1st XI, both starting to play in Year 9. Aiden finished with 118 games and 106 goals and Charles finished in the late 90s for games played. A phenomenal commitment and effort.

Kerry Baker