- Term 1 Year 13 Career Management seminars
- Evening presentations:
- Parents as Career Coaches
- Tertiary Study Options Evening
- Successful Transition to Tertiary Studies Evening
- Lunch-time seminars and guest speakers which offer a wide range of topics ranging from tips and advice for university, to studying at Australian, US and UK universities, and Gap Year opportunities.
- CV & personal statement drafting, selection interview coaching, individual tertiary application support.
- University scholarship applications both in New Zealand and overseas.
- Subject Choice help:
- An excellent resources section on SchoolBox.
- 1-on-1 appointments with our Careers Centre team, and drop-in Q&A sessions at lunch-time and after school.
- A Year 10 Career Development module for Junior students, and subject choice support and guidance is offered at the drop-in sessions.
- Access to NZ universities advice through all-day seminars at the College, targeted at university enrolment help and course planning.
Career guidance and counselling
Dr Heather Carpenter comments: “Career decisions remain the most important investment decision of our lives – in terms of self-development as well as financial progress... Poor choices lead to poor investment of time, energy, money and often bring a lack of confidence to make further choices.”
The Careers Centre team are passionate and knowledgeable about careers and are committed to assisting students to confidently and successfully transition through their secondary education.
Senior students from Year 11-13 can complete MyChoicesMatch, developed by Dr Heather Carpenter - it’s a new NZ self-assessed programme which enables students to identify the following:
• What kind of person am I - What is my Career Orientation?
• What skills do I want to use now and develop for the future?
• What kind of industries and work environments am I attracted to?
The ChoiceMatch tool then leads to a guided review and expert support and counselling in exploring career and study options, for more directed decision-making: Self + Skills= Possibilities. Visit here for more information.
The Career Dynamic Card Sorts resource is another excellent assessment tool for Year 13 – it offers comprehensive in-depth exploration of career identity, summarised in a detailed career profile sheet, supported by guidance from the Careers team. You can read about this here.