St John’s has a proud history of success in every facet of school life. The numbers of Old St John’s Collegians who have become prominent in their careers attest to academic success. Rowing, orienteering, rugby and cricket have brought fame to the House. Many have been in orchestras, Glee Club and Drama Club productions and St John’s has always had a strong presence in the Chapel Choir and, more recently, in other choral groups.
St John's was the second Boarding House to be established when the College moved from Remuera to Middlemore in 1922. It was named to recognise the direct link with St John's Collegiate School, which merged with King's in 1913.
In 1972, St John's moved from the original wooden building across from the Chapel where the Headmaster's house now stands to its more spacious brick and tile quarters. It was the first of the Boarding Houses to be rebuilt.
The St John’s House shield is a royal blue shield with a silver outline and three five-pointed stars in a pyramid formation. Royal Blue emphasises the College’s link to the original St. John’s Collegiate School in Remuera. The three stars represent those used on the Coat of Arms of the Anglican Diocese of Auckland.
- Housemaster: Daryl Williams
- House Tutors: Jim Floerchinger, Mahendra Naidoo, Wally Rifle, Tom Lusk
- Teacher Mentors: Marcel Delport
- House Manager: Maria Knight