Our House motto is at the cornerstone of everything we do in Averill. The young men of Averill House are expected to carry themselves with integrity and respect, which are traits central to the running of the House. We endeavour to make strong, resilient, proud young men, through support and guidance.
Founded in 1961, Averill House was named after a former Bishop of New Zealand who was closely associated with the College for many years.
During his term, Bishop Averill founded the Auckland City Mission and extended and consolidated many of the major Anglican institutions that abound today. Bishop Averill served on the King's College Board of Governors from 1914-1930 and from 1932-1939. Honours included the Doctorate from Oxford and investiture as a Companion of the Order of St. Michael and St. George (CMG).
The tower represents the building of the same name on what is now the King's School site. The eight-pointed star represents the stars from the arms of the Anglican Diocese of Auckland. The upper half of the shield is maroon to show the House's place within King's College. The diagonal band shows the House colour. The blue lower half of the shield commemorates the Old St. John's College in Remuera. The Bishop's mitre symbolises our own Anglican faith and Christian values. It also recognises the role of Bishop Averill at King's.
- Housemaster: Keith Rowley
- Associate Housemaster: Ged Leicester
- House Tutors: Logan Lee, Angela Clayton, Jeremy Johnson
- Teacher Mentors: Corinne Hinton, Andrew Walton, Lincoln Savage