It was founded for the broad charitable purpose of the advancement of education within New Zealand and specifically through the application of the Trust Fund for the exclusive benefit of King’s College, including without limitation, to provide financial assistance for the:
- granting of scholarships, bursaries, endowments and educational allowances to teachers, other staff, and to students of the College
- employment of teachers and other staff
- carrying out of educational and research projects
- ability to enable academic specialists to visit the College
- acquisition by the College of library books, works of art and plant and equipment required for educational purposes
- development of new teaching methods and the cultural environment of the College
- acquisition of land or other facilities for the College and for the construction or maintenance of buildings and other facilities to be used by the College.