16 Feb 2015

Monday 16 February 2015

All the school's senior sides played well over the weekend, with the Premier and Girls teams having two matches.

Waterpolo (1)

The Premier Boys led through most of the match against Mount Albert Grammar School (MAGS) on Friday night and managed to hold off a strong finishing MAGS team for a 7 – 6 victory.  Notable moments in this game were Jackson Astley's lobbed goal from an impossible angle and Amosa Gould becoming the youngest player to score for King's when he finished off a counter attack early in period 3.

On Sunday they faced top seeds Auckland Grammar School. Although the scores were tight through the first half, the more experienced Grammar team ran away with the match in the third and fourth periods to take a 15 – 5 win.


The mighty Senior B1 Water Polo Team looked like minnows for the first two minutes of the opening quarter allowing St Kentigern to go 2 goals ahead. Goals in quick succession to Tim Guy (1), Alex Williams (2) and Joe Marr (1) then put us 4 – 2 up going into the second quarter. By this time Caleb Brooke had woken up in goal where he continued to perform excellently for the rest of the match. Pressure in defence put St Kent's in a position where they forced their shots making the goalkeeper's task much easier, plus we turned over the ball on a number of occasions. 2 goals to Henry Gelb and Tim Guy gave us a lead of 6 – 2 going into the third. The third quarter was the least consistent of the game and Tim Guy put another goal in the back of the net to give us a lead of 7 – 2 going into the last quarter. Caleb Brooke continued to give us good service in goal only letting one in the last while we put on another 4 goals to win the match 11 – 3.


The B2 side also kicked off the season with a win, they played Sacred Heart and came away victorious 7 – 4. Features of the match were excellent work in the goal by Alastair Hadlow and defenders Josh Tsang and Daniel Kim and some strong work on attack by year 9 student Tom Clarkson. The goals went to Ethan Wichman, Felix Kim, Ollie Crow and 2 each to Tom Clarkson and Maric Wichman.


The B3 team also played Sacred Heart and competed well, being only one goal down at the end of the first period.  Unfortunately Sacred Heart went on a 4 – 0 run in the second period and we turned around at 5 – 0. However the second half was a much more even affair and the final score was 7 – 2. Our goal scorers were Lachie Dixon and Jack Lock and Liam Heron had a great day in the goal making several spectacular saves.


The girls had a tough start to their season when they played last year's winners Glendowie on Friday night. Captain Courtney Varney played well and lead by example making some crucial steals in the first quarter to hold out the impressive opposition attack. She secured a turn-over ball that resulted in a kick-out from which she scored our first goal. Ashleigh Tonkin was superb in goal for King’s, blunting the Glendowie shooter’s confidence with many fine saves. Alana Sherman scored a nice goal late in the game and we went down 8 – 2.


On Sunday the King’s Girls played a strong Avondale side that had a slight edge with several strong players. Despite this mismatch we managed to pull level by the end of the third quarter after Courtney Varney shot three long distance goals past their less than impressive keeper. Going into the last quarter 4 – 4 our hard work was soon undone after Avondale finished strongly putting 3 unanswered goals past our tiring defence. Final score 4 – 7. The girls have already played the two top seeded teams in the division and their coach Mr Simunic is impressed with how well they have gelled as a team and is anticipating some improved results from here on in.