07 Sep 2014

Sunday 07 September 2014

The last week has seen some very good performances from a number of King’s teams and individuals as they finished the winter season on a high.

The King's cycling team competed in the Auckland Secondary Schools' Road Race Series and some top results were achieved:
•    The King's junior team of Tyler Jerram, Theo Gilbertson and Charlie Knox placed first overall in the Under-15 category after all three races.
•    In the Under-16 Race category, Henry Dunne and Luke Meadowcroft placed third overall after all three races.
•    In the first road race, Tyler Jerram placed third in the King of the Mountains category and Alec Hudson placed second overall.

Congratulations to our First XI footballers, who at the weekend beat Rosmini College 3-1 to secure the A1 Championship and with it, promotion to the Premier division for 2015.

In other football, congratulations to the 15A team. Having already secured the title last weekend, the team finished off their season in style by beating the 2nd placed team Avondale College 2-0. Goals from Daniel Staka and Andrew Fontein came from a strong all-round team performance. Well done to the 15As for a great season.

The 14Bs had a very pleasing 5-3 win over Auckland Grammar School. After a slow start, which saw the team trailling 2-1 at half-time, the King’s boys really stepped it up in the second half. Two goals each from Joshua Mun and Jack McGuinness and one goal to Regan King meant that the team finished the season on a high note.

Congratulations to the First XI hockey team, who last Wednesday night won the Auckland SuperCity title when they defeated Westlake Boys' High School 4-1 in the final. A commanding performance by the First XI, which sets them up very well for the Rankin Cup this week.

The weekend saw some excellent performances from our teams contesting their Grade Finals.

In the 5A final, King's played against Sacred Heart College. In difficult conditions, King’s won the toss and elected to play into a strong wind. The team played superbly to go into half-time 7-0 with a try by Hugo Simpson. The second half was much the same with huge defence, giving the opposition very little opportunity. Te Raukura Hawke managed to add a precious penalty to move the score out to 10-0. Sacred Heart came back strongly in the final minutes but was unable to crack the defence with the match ending at 10-3. A brilliant display by the entire team ensured that the King's name will appear on the trophy for the first time. Well done to 5A – champions for 2014.

4B played their final against Howick College. From the kick off, King's was right on attack and from relentless forward pick and go, Patrick Bryun scored twice in the same fashion in the 4th and 14th minute. Both tries were unconverted. Howick College replied with a try to their first five who danced his way around defenders to score. A penalty kick by William Batkin close to the posts after relentless pressure gave King’s a 13-5 half-time lead. In the second half Howick came at us strongly. At crucial times however, the forwards were able to turn over possession and repel wave after wave of attacks on our line. Playing with 14 men for the last 10 minutes, following a controversial sin binning, was a clear demonstration of the team's will to win. The final whistle was the finest sound to the ears of the players and supporters. Well done to 4B – champions for 2014.

Congratulations also to the 7A side. Up against an unbeaten Auckland Grammar School side who had previously handed out two comprehensive defeats to King’s, the 7A boys really muscled up. The score ended at 12-7 but Grammar knew that they had been in a real tussle. Well done to the 7A team for such a brave effort.