26 Mar 2015

Thursday 26 March 2015


The archery teams had another successful week, with all teams except King’s D recording a win. The A Team, as always, excelled, beating St Peter’s College C by a convincing margin to retain their hold on the top place in the A Division. With only one more week to go, the competition in this division is tight. We will see some of the top junior archers in the country shooting off against each other next week when King’s A take on St Peter’s College A in the trophy match.

The archers in King’s B found their form after a difficult few weeks, beating Auckland Grammar School A in an impressive display of skill and teamwork.

By beating Selwyn College A this week, King’s C have drawn equal with St Peter’s College D at the top of Division B, and their match next week will determine whether they take out the trophy in this division.

King’s E were also in fine form, with a good win over Papatoetoe High School A, allowing them to rise to 2nd place in Division C.

We are looking forward to the finals next week, with four of our five teams poised to take one of the top positions in their division.


Boys' Senior A
King's College 223 (Joshua Williams 76, Sam Kenward 36)
Selwyn College 172 (Robbie Macalister 4 for 32)
Won by 51 runs
Joshua Williams put Selwyn to the sword, scoring his 76 off 36 balls and hammering 10 fours and 3 sixes

Boys' Junior 2
Playing at Saint Kentigern College, the King's College side decided to bat first. The recent rain had greened up the outfield, and as a result, our players really struggled to pierce the field. Many well hit shots ended up as a scrambled two. In the end, we managed 90-8 off 30 overs, with only Aidan Morgan, 25, and Campbell Hulbert, 27, reaching double figures. In reply, we had Saint Kentigern's two openers out for 14, but after that their No. 3 and No. 4 scored freely and reached the target with overs to spare. Both were very well organised batsmen and were able to hit the ball far more crisply than our batsmen; they looked the real package.

King's College 90-8 in 30 overs (Aidan Morgan 25, Campbell Hulbert 27)
Saint Kentigern College 91-2 in 20 overs
Lost by 8 wickets


Boys' Senior 1
Thursday 19 March
The Boys' Senior 1 team took on top ranked Saint Kentigern College. In the No. 1 singles, Luc Anderson played scintillating tennis in the early stages of his match, going up 4-1 by moving his opponent around the court and managing to pull off some clean winners. As his opponent rallied, the match tightened up with the Saint Kentigern’s No. 1 eventually taking it out 6-4. We were outclassed in the other matches, although some matches were closer than the scoreline might suggest. Eventually we lost 9-0.

Saturday 21 March
On Saturday, the team took on Westlake Boys' High School. Knowing that we were up against good opposition, we still hoped that we could pull off some wins. A number of the matches were very close, including a tie break loss to Lachlan Davidson and Joshua Parker in the 3rd doubles pairing but we could not quite get over the mark. Joshua Parker did manage to pull off a good 6-2 win in his No. 6 singles but we went down 8-1.

Boys' Senior 2
Saint Kentigern College Two just managed to beat our Senior 2 team 5-4. Special mention this term to Nianxu Wang playing No. 6. He has played every game at 6 and while we have been thrashed by sides like the top Macleans Collegge side, Nianxu Wang has remained unbeaten all season. He knows how to thoroughly frustrate his big hitting, top spinning opponents. He keeps the ball in play and chases everything down.

Boys' Intermediate 2
King's College played Saint Kentigern College and won 6-3. These were the two undefeated teams, so King's wins the Championship! Congratulations to the boys. A great team effort.

Boys' Junior 1
A tough match versus Auckland Grammar School 1. The boys worked hard but were up against a strong opposition. We did not combine well in the doubles and made too many errors, hence we were outplayed in this area. In singles, the boys showed great resolve and pushed their Grammar opponents. Even though the scorelines were mainly 6-3 in these matches, they did play well and were not outclassed by as much as the margins indicate. Whilst a 9-0 win to Grammar was as seedings indicated, we lifted our game and were very competitive.

Boys' Junior 2
The Boys' Junior 2 team went down to a stronger Saint Kentigern College side 7-2. The player of the day was Louis Evans who beat his opponent 6-1 and won his doubles with his partner Jonty Poole in a tie break 7-6.

Water Polo

Boys' Premier
The Boys' Premier team avenged a loss to Sacred Heart College II earlier in the year with a satisfying six goal win. Goals went to captain Jordan Lane (4), Connor Tomoana and a stunning lob to Jake Parker-Allen. Last Sunday night the team played Mount Albert Grammar School. They trailed most of the match but managed to get their noses in front at 8-7 at the beginning of the 4th quarter, but finished poorly and ended up with a frustrating 10-8 loss.

Girls' Premier
The girls has their work cut out for them being up against a talented Kristin College team that beat Macleans College; a team we recently lost two close games to!

The first quarter ended 0-0 as both teams' defence won out. Ashleigh Tonkin put in a great performance, stopping half a dozen tough shots. In the second quarter, a single goal to Courtney Varney saw us lead 1-0 at half-time. The opposition came out stronger in the third quarter and really tested our defence. Another string of good saves from Ashleigh Tonkin kept us in it and when Mira Simunic got free on four metres, she received a nice pass and converted the goal to make it 2-1. Then just before the end, a brilliant individual goal by Izzie Brown saw her fast break towards the goal with a defender right on her back. She took it right up to the two metre mark and did a text book t-shot past their goalie. Leading 3-1 into the final quarter, Kristin came back strongly again and this time they found the back of our net twice to make it 3-3 with one minute left to play. In a dramatic final minute, Kristin stole the ball and came at us again, only to lose out and this gave us another chance to attack. We swum it up and tried to find room to work the ball in from the right side of the pool. With 15 seconds left, we lobbed a hopeful pass into the congested centre of the pool. Izzie Brown got her hand to it but it spilled and our hopes were dashed. Then a Kristin defender made a fatal error, pushing the ball under! Our ball – 5 seconds left. We flicked it to Brooke Hulbert who had a free shot right in front! GOAL as the buzzer sounded! We won 4-3 right at the death! A dramatic win well-deserved by the girls.

Boys' Senior B1
The Senior B1 team played two games last week. On Friday we played a tight game against Mount Albert Grammar School B. Leading 3-2 at the halfway mark, MAGS drew even at the end of the third quarter, 4-4. In the last quarter, we pulled ahead to win comfortably 9-6. Goals from Amosa Gould (4), Alexander Williams (2), Joseph Nevill-Jackson (2) and Joshua Little (1).

On Sunday we played Auckland Grammar School and won 5-3 with Caleb Brooke playing well in goal. Two goals went to captain Tim Guy.

Boys' Senior B2
The B2 team had their best match of the season, dismantling Massey High School by a score of 18-1. The whole team played well but Joshua Tsang had a great match on attack with a season high seven goals. Other goal scorers were Maric Wichman, Oliver Crow and Daniel Kim who all got hat-tricks, and Nick Bodenstein and Ethan Wichman who scored one each.

Boys' Senior B3
Last Friday the B3 side played ACG Parnell College B. After leading for most of the match, we had a couple of defensive lapses at the end of the third quarter and found ourselves a goal down. With a persistent effort on attack, we managed to score with a minute remaining and came close to taking out the match in the dying seconds, however the scores remained at 4-4 at the final whistle. Our goals went to Liam Heron, Lachie Dixon and Tim Dunshea

The final match of the weekend was against Mount Roskill Grammar School, a team which we had lost to by 12-3 earlier in the season. In a vastly improved performance, we came from behind to tie a very tight encounter 3-3. Toby Lowe had a strong match in goal and the attack was led by center forward Lachie Dixon who scored twice, the other goal going to Sam Kittle who played his best match of the season. In a dramatic end to the game, Kohki Kawata put the ball in the net as the buzzer sounded but the referees decided to disallow the goal, so the result remained a draw.