18 Mar 2015

Wednesday 18 March 2015


It was a mixed bag this week in the third week of the Inter-School Archery competition. The A Team had another great week, winning their match against St Peter’s College B and setting a new team record. Jack Forsythe achieved the highest score of the day, with a score of 291 out of a possible 300. This performance kept the A Team at the top of the 1st Division.

The C Team had a similarly convincing win over Green Bay High School, placing them top of Division B, and the D team won against Glenfield College.

Within all the teams, several of the archers shot personal bests. There are three more weeks to go in this competition, as well as the big Auckland Regional tournament on Saturday, 28 March.



Congratulations to Alana Sherman who won the 3000 meters in the Womens' Youth Division at the National Athletics Championships in Wellington last weekend.



2nd XI

King's College 137 and 80/7 (Nelukshan De Silva 25, Marcus Gerbich-Pais 24)

St Peter's College 219/9 declared (Boyden 4/48, De Silva 3/36)

St Peter's College won on 1st innings.

3rd XI

Glendowie College First XI 86 (Ben Goodwin 3/14, George Hulley 4/6)

King's College 3rd XI 88/4 (George Dougherty 35 no, Benjamin Goodwin 30 no)

King's won by 6 wickets.


King's College 214/8 (Hayden Dickson 45, George Bennett 37 no)

Rangitoto College 72 all out (Hugo Hill 7-30, on debut - awesome effort)

Senior A1

Auckland Grammar School 154 (Sam Kenward 3 for 13, including a hat-trick)

King's College 145

Lost by 9 runs.

Junior A1

Another Saturday and another game against Auckland Grammar School; the third match of the season against a Grammar side.

King's won the toss and elected to bat. They did not recover from a disastrous start and ended up about 60 runs short of the total that the coach suggested was the goal at the start of the day.

We managed 108-9 in 30 overs after being 5-3 after three overs. Stuart McAlister and Campbell Hulbert produced a minor recovery and batted for the majority of the innings, but they were unable to cash in on the full tosses and short balls offered by the Grammar bowlers. They developed the uncanny knack of hitting these balls straight to the fielders.

In reply, Grammar started just as shakily as we did. They lost a wicket to the first ball of the innings and were quickly 9-3.

The King's side sensed victory, but the Grammar batsmen had other ideas. After a period of consolidation they completed a comfortable victory by 7 wickets in the 24th over.

Disappointing, but Grammar were the better side.

Two more Saturdays remain, but fortunately no more matches against Grammar.

However it must be noted that all three matches have been played in tremendous spirit. Thoroughly enjoyable, apart for the fact that we have lost all three!

King's College 108-9 in 30 overs (Stuart McAlister 38, Campbell Hulbert 30)

Auckland Grammar School 112-3 in 24 overs (Campbell Hulbert 2-12)

Win to Auckland Grammar School by 7 wickets.

Junior A2

Pakuranga College batted first and scored an impressive 158/3. In response, we only managed 139/4 in our allotted overs. Casey McGuire continued his fine run of form, scoring 59 not out. Ramiz Ahmad also impressed with 32.

Pakuranga College beat King’s 6A2 by 19 runs. 



Congratulations to Zander Fraser, Daniel Easton and Xavier Guy who have made the Auckland Under-21 Mens' team. The boys will be playing at the start of May in the National tournament, held in Wellington.



Boys' Senior 1

The Boys' Senior 1 team did not play their best tennis against Auckland Grammar School on Saturday. Luc Anderson and Jacque Anderson played very well in the No. 1 doubles, firstly going up 4-0 before the Grammar pairing clawed their way back to a 5-4 lead, but Luc and Jacque hung in there to take out the set 7-5.

Unfortunately, the other doubles matches did not match up to this, going down fairly easily. Tim Youn had 4 match points in his singles but could not clinch the win, eventually going down 7-5. There were other singles matches that we could have and should have won but did not do so, ending with a disappointing 8-1 loss.

Boys' Intermediate 1

Our Boys' Intermediate 1 team did not stack up against Westlake Boys' High School very well. The opposition definitely displayed their superior skills over our boys, winning 7-2. Our losses included two 6-0’s in singles. Much to our consolation, our No. 2 player, Jasper Ng, was on song and won his singles with a vengeance by completely trouncing his opponent 6-0.

Another praiseworthy player is our No. 6 player, George Breckon, who, so far, remains unbeaten this season through sheer determination and fighting spirit, and makes up for his lightweight skills very well.

Boys' Junior 1

The Boys' Junior 1 team played soundly, beating Saint Kentigern College 2 6-3. The top four won all of their matches. We look forward to competing against Auckland Grammar School 1 next weekend.

Girls' Senior 1

The Girls' Senior 1 team went down 7-2 against St Cuthbert's College. Caitlin Treacey and Hye-Song Goo fought hard to eventually win their respective singles matches. 


Water Polo

Boys' Senior B1

We are continuing to face teams which are the first teams of their respective schools. This means  we are up against it for the rest of the season. We are a genuine B team and we will keep improving our skills by playing teams which are better than us. This is better than playing down a grade and encountering easy games.

Last Friday night we lost in a fair match to Long Bay College, who had travelled far in Auckland traffic to play. We went down 6-3 in a match where we came back from a large first half deficit. 

Last Sunday evening we played a talented Northcote College side, again another first team for their school and we struggled to score goals. They led 3-0 at half-time and 5-1 at the three-quarter mark, with a fine goal from Amosa Gould for us. Joshua Little gave us a goal in the fourth quarter and we ended up with a loss at 7-2. Caleb Brooke in goal helped keep the score at a respectable level. All players worked hard, and Isaac Okesene and Hayes Okesene are to be commended for doing table duty late into the night after our game.

Girls' Senior 1

In a very similar battle, King’s faced Macleans College again within five days, and played out another tight match that went down to the last quarter. Once again, they proved to have the upper hand winning the match 6-4. Although it was 4-4 going into the last quarter, their very impressive #7 outplayed our defence and managed to score critical goals despite our girls best efforts. Our goals scored by Courtney Varney, Brooke Hulbert and two from Mira Simunic.