01 Apr 2016

Friday 01 April 2016

Over the Easter weekend of Friday, 25 to Monday, 28 March King’s College was invited to participate in the Scots College Easter Rugby 7s competition in Sydney and defeated Saint Ignatius' College, Riverview by 24-22 to win the tournament.

This was a rare opportunity as 7s does not feature in the King’s rugby programme, but coaching management saw this as a chance to expose players to a different style of game, testing endurance and isolating core 101 skills. Weather conditions were perfect and spectators were in for a festival of open running rugby.

The first two pool games were against Waverley College and Scots College, and both games were won comfortably with qualification for the semi-finals and topping the pool.

The semi-final was played against The King's School, Sydney. This was going to be a close encounter as The King's School had some big powerful athletes that would test King’s defence and put the team under stress. They did not disappoint and King's School scored the first try midway through the first half. However, King’s bounced back scoring two tries (not converted) making the score 10-5 with minutes remaining. King’s scrambling defence was outstanding and held off The King's School to qualify for the final.

King’s faced St Ignatius’ College, Riverview in the final and with 10-minute halves and the hot weather, this was really going to test the team’s fitness. During the opening three minutes King’s scored two tries, both converted, and it looked like the team would cruise to victory. Riverview came back hard and scored two quick tries before half-time.

Riverview had the momentum and scored quickly after the break, but King’s responded with a 60-metre runaway try from Jamie Spowart. Riverview then scored again and with minutes remaining on the clock, King’s was down 19-22. A penalty awarded to King's 80-metres out saw a quick tap from James Stanners to find Jamie Spowart who looked up and saw space in the back field. Jamie chipped over the top and with great composure, he toe hacked the ball forward and eventually the ball popped up into his hands, scoring an amazing solo try giving King's the victory.

A fantastic result and the coaching management would also like to thank the parents who flew over to support their boys and the squad.