08 May 2017

Monday 08 May 2017

1Stxvkcdls060517 0043

King's had a successful first weekend of the Rugby season, with wins from the majority of our teams. Teams performed well across the board, against opponents from Da La Salle College and Saint Kentigern College. 

The First XV played De La Salle to win 34-12, in what was a thrilling and hard-fought match. Man of the match, Iliesa Ratuva, had an outstanding game, scoring a hat-trick. 

Team Manager Daryl Williams says he is "delighted with the boys performance and that the team picked up the maximum five points for the win".

The team will now start preparing for the big match against Sacred Heart College this coming weekend.


Full Reports

First XV

De La Salle College
Tries to Iliesa Ratuva (3), Meihana Grindlay, and Millennium Sanerivi
Conversions to Meihana Grindlay (3)
Penalty to Meihana Grindlay

This was a hard-fought 34-12 win by our First XV against our neighbouring school, De La Salle College. Perfect conditions meant that both teams commenced the match playing a running game of rugby.

The visitors were first to score after several phases of play that contained some great offloads from there team. King's College however, did not take long to respond, putting together many phases to keep De la Salle pinned inside their own 22m. Lock - Iliesa Ratuva finished off some fine running, scoring two tries in quick succession. Number 12, Meihana Grindlay converted one of the two tries for a 12 - 7 halftime lead.

In the second half, De La Salle commenced the same way they started the match, scoring an early try after a grubber kick through the King’s line was re-gathered to score. This sparked our King's side into gear and we recorded three tries to Meihana Grindlay, Iliesa Ratuva and Millennium Sanerivi, who scored just on full time. Grindlay converted two of the tries and added a penalty for a personal tally of 14 points for the match. 

Man of the match, Iliesa Ratuva, had an outstanding game, scoring a hat-trick of tries and winning the lineout ball at will. Captain and hooker, Hayes Okesene, along with blindside flanker, Millennium Sanerivi, also had impressive games, carrying the ball with efficiency and purpose and making some big tackles that kept De La Salle on the back foot.

The coaches were delighted that our team picked up the maximum five points for the win and we now start preparing for the big match against Sacred Heart College next weekend.


2nd XV

De La Salle College
Tries to Luke Tuhaka, Ro'anis Lamond.
Conversion to Taylor Norwood

Our 2nd XV played what was a very free-flowing game against De La Salle College, marred only by some pre-season rustiness and unforced errors.

At halftime the score sat at 7-0, thanks to the strong defensive pressure which saw Josh Gellert charge down a kick in his own 22m, kick it ahead twice before fellow player Ro'anis Lamond overtook all chasers and dived in beneath the posts. Tayor Norwood duly converted the try.

The second half saw several changes, but an increased desire from King's to put width on the ball. They were rewarded with a full width-of-the-field passing movement, which saw Luke Tuhaka released and diving into the corner.

Outstanding defense ensured De La Salle was not allowed to put any points on the board. King's created many more opportunities and showed huge endeavour and desire to play. The game was called off 15 minutes before the final whistle due to a dislocated elbow injury for Alowesi Suveinakama.



De La Salle College
Tries to Mogammad Smith, Mika Tuia
Conversions to Tamati Panaho (2)

Our Colts team went into their winning match against De La Salle College,  concentrating on defence and keeping their shape throughout the game. The Colts put pressure on the De La Salle’s forwards and backs, to force errors in their game plan and eventually score quick converted tries, putting them at a 14-0 lead at half time.

Despite a couple of tries to De La Salle in the second half, our team kept their composure to hold onto the match win.



De La Salle College
Tries to Che Clark, Taniela Mapusua-Lotaki, Mitchell Irwin, Trent Tairoa
Conversions to Max Hunt and Budda Doyle,  and a penalty. 

This week the team put on a convincing performance, against the season champions from last year’s U15 competition, De La Salle College. King’s were down 12-17 at halftime,  scoring two very good tries that involved multiple phases. However, a couple of errors allowed De La Salle  to dominate territory and possession. In the second half King’s employed a much improved kicking game, scoring two converted tries and a penalty to win the match.



Saint Kentigern College

Unfortunately the score of the game does not reflect some of the good work that happened on the field. It was a strong game for Lachie Dixon, George Dougherty and Captain Max Doughty.



Saint Kentigern College

This was a good first trial game for the team, which allowed them to play in all four quarters and gave all 28 players a chance to present their talents for selection. King's absorbed the early pressure but allowed the forward dominated attack by the opposition to cross after tight forward driving play. As the game evolved, our backs came into the game more and, in combination with a growing confidence and control by the forwards, began to carry the ball for bigger field gains. This was converted into points and resulted in a good finish. The competition begins next week, so training this week will be the last chance to impress, before the team selection is finalised.



King's School

6A played the annual exchange against King's School in what was an entertaining fixture. There was lots of excellent running and some brilliant tries scored. The match was played in outstanding spirit and we look forward to the King's School players being a part of our future teams.



Saint Kentigern College U55kg Restricted

The 6B boys got an early season opportunity to play a trial match and to showcase their skills. The match was played in three chukkas with three different teams. Unfortunately the constant changing of personnel meant that it was difficult to maintain momentum. Two good tries in the first chukka set King's up for the match but the opposition came back strongly to set up an exciting finale. A tense last five minutes saw Saint Kentigern camped on the King's try line. However a strong defence ensured a close win.



Saint Kentigern College
24- 22

This match was a game of two halves. It was a good start to the season for our team, with some pleasing signs of potential from our players.