15 May 2017

Monday 15 May 2017

KC SHC 1Stxv130517 0097

Sacred Heart retain the Fitzpatrick-Kirkpatrick Cup in nail-biting finish

King's second weekend featured some notable highlights, with wins from several of our teams.

The First XV played Sacred Heart College in a nail-biting match that ended with Sacred Heart retaining the Sean Fitzpatrick - Ian Kirkpatrick Cup winning 13-12. Tries by Callum Douglas and Isaiah Mapusua kept King’s on the scoreboard but the combination of errors and losing a player from the field, meant that the match eventually swung in the direction of Sacred Heart.

Team Manager Daryl Williams says that despite the disappointing loss, for both players and spectators alike, he was impressed with the performances of certain players, such as Blindside flanker Millenium Sanerivi and lock Iliesa Ratuva. The team were also happy to pick up the bonus point for finishing within seven points of the Sacred Heart score.

Next week the team travels out to newly promoted West Auckland school, Liston College, where they will hope to get the back into the season with a win. 


Full Reports

First XV

Sacred Heart College          
13–12 to Sacred Heart
Tries to Callum Douglas and Isaiah Mapusua
Conversion to Isa'ako Enosa

In beautiful conditions and on a firm and fast track, despite the rain throughout the week, Sacred Heart College came to King's looking to retain the coveted Sean Fitzpatrick - Ian Kirkpatrick Cup, which they won last year beating us by one point in the final play of the match.

The match kicked off at a frenetic pace and although playing into a steady breeze, King's made all the plays in the opening quarter of the match. Following relentless pressure on Sacred Heart, the ball went through many phases before being spun out to right winger, Callum Douglas who scored a well-taken try in the right corner.

Kicker Meihana Grindlay missed the possible conversion, but King's held a five point lead. The remainder of the first half belonged to Sacred Heart who, through their dominant scrum, put King's under tremendous pressure in their own 22m and eventually conceded two penalties - both of which were converted by the Sacred Heart kicker for a halftime lead of 6 - 5 to the visitors.

In the second half, the match too'ed and fro'ed with neither team able to add any points to the scoreboard. In an eventual turning point in the match, King's young first five-eighth, Aidan Morgan, received a yellow card for throwing one of the opposition's boots away. While down to 14 men, Sacred Heart took advantage of the extra man and scored a try out wide, that was converted by their kicker. This gave Sacred an eight point buffer and despite throwing everything at them, King's were unable to break their defenses until lock, Isaiah Mapusua scored a well deserved try that was converted by fullback, Isa'ako Enosa.

Unfortunately, King’s lost by one point again, as in 2016 and the Fitzpatrick-Kirkpatrick Cup returned to Sacred Heart's trophy cabinet for another year. A disappointing result for the supporters, players and management, but we were happy to pick up the bonus point for finishing within seven points of their score. Blindside flanker, Millennium Sanerivi, had an outstanding match and was followed closely by lock Iliesa Ratuva who won lineout ball all day.

An area of concern was our scrum that was really put under huge pressure at times and will no-doubt be the focus of this week's training along with tackling, as we fell off way too may one-on-one tackles in this match. Next week the team travels out to newly promoted West Auckland school, Liston College, where we will need to get our season back on track.


2nd XV

Dilworth School
22-14 to King’s
Tries to Luke Tuhaka, Lupeni Tonga, Temple Kalepo and Oliva Mason
Conversion to Josh Numanga

A strong start and finish to this game ensured a 22-14 victory to the King’s 2nd XV. There was unfortunately some messy and inaccurate play between this, but a strong forward performance paved the way for the win.

King’s were clinical to start, winning their own ball and that of Dilworth's team. Laith Hammond and Billy Coman dominated and gave a steady supply to the backline. Excellent passing and multiple phases led to the first try for Luke Tuhaka as he out-paced the cover defence to score. From a well executed lineout drive the forwards managed to pick-and-go from a close distance and Lupeni Tonga muscled his way over. King’s turned at half-time, having played into the wind, leading 10-0.

A loose pass in the backline gave an intercept and an easy seven points to Dilworth. King’s responded immediately, and after prolonged pressure, Temple Kalepo powered over close to a ruck to score and make it 15-7. Dilworth maintained ball and found gaps around rucks. With a few minutes remaining they managed to work their way across the line for a converted try and an exciting last few plays with the score at 15-14. Captain Oliva Mason had the last say from a midfield scrum, with great running lines he managed to break two tackles and slam the ball over the try line. Josh Numanga converted to finish the game with the score at 22-14.

Our competition starts formally next week with Wesley College at home.



Tangaroa College
32-13 to Tangaroa College
Try to Xela Pathan
Conversion by Tamati Panaho
Penalties to Tamati Panaho (2)

A disruptive training week with sickness, promotion and small house may have taken its toll on a Colts Team. Colts trecked all the way out to Tangaroa college where they played a big and solid team. King’s started well with an early penalty by fullback Tamati Panaho. However, Tangaroa came back strong with two tries leaving the score 10-6 at half-time.

The Colts Team were looking good and well in the game at this point. The second half of the game looked promising, with our boys winning the lineout and being solid  in defence. However, Tangaroa's big and mobile backs busted through the line and scored three quick tries on a heavy penalty count favouring Tangaroa.

King’s were not giving up with captain Harry Lee, Jack Lock and Ryan Gordon, our loose trio, leading the boys from the front on defence. First five Xela Pathan timed a perfect intercept pass 50 metes out and showed off his touch skills stepping the winger left and right to score in the corner. An excellent conversion from Tamati Panoho made the final score 32-13.

Sam Lowe also lead from the front by winning most of Tangaroa College’s lineouts and displayed great leadership around the field.

Our Colts team values and standards have been set high for a reason, this week we didn't quite reach them. Next week the boys will re-gathering and be back ready to play.



Westlake Boys’ High School
27-24 to King’s
Tries to Che Clark (2), Senio Pulega, Dayton Iobu, Trent Tairoa
Conversions by Budda Doyle

King’s were up 27-7 with 10 minutes to play. However, Westlake Boys’ High School never gave up and scored three late tries to put us under significant pressure.

Westlake scored right on full time from another scrum close to our line. We started well and scored two tries after 10 minutes to lead 12-0. We were playing into a slight head wind and dominated territory and possession.

Westlake’s only foray into our 22 resulted in a try next to the posts that they converted, 12-7. From the kick-off our hooker was injured and the referee decided to shorten the half with five minutes to play. 

Our reserve hooker is on camp, so our reshuffled front row struggled in the second half. The 35 minute second half was almost the undoing for the team. We scored three very good tries and were up 27-7, and a comfortable win looked on the cards.

But Westlake struck back with three tries of their own. We learnt a lot about ourselves from this game and will be better prepared for Wesley College next Saturday.



St Peter’s College
56-0 to St Peter’s College

Another tough day on the field for the 4A team. Injuries suffered from last week’s game plus further late injury and sickness, left a depleted team.

Despite the score, the boys fought bravely for the whole game. Jared McKenzie and George Dougherty defended well in midfield. Hunter and Grayson Gaze got through a tonne of tackling. Alan Bentley was enterprising until he was subbed off with an injury. The team looks forward to playing in a division befitting their strength and skill set.



Rosmini College
29-13 to King’s College
Tries to Tim Howe, Harry Marshall, Andrew Breckon, Thomas Elia-Abbot (2)
Conversions by Ben Broughton (2)

A great day of rugby for our 5A side and the bonus of playing at home. A final score of 29-13, with the opposition not scoring in the second half, is a clear indication that this King’s 5A are keen to learn and improve. In the initial stages we struggled with ball retention in contact, and on the ground, while accuracy in passing and running lines, along with too many penalties, allowed Rosmini a greater share of possession than they deserved. 

The half-time score of 17-13 indicated a sharper approach was needed. The main goal for our second half was to deny any scoring opportunities to Rosmini –and this was achieved: even when we were down to 14 men.

Rosmini camped in our 22 several times, but our defense was resolute. The forward pack were more accurate in their defensive structures and retained more ball in the tight, while there were a number of ‘spot’ tackles that snuffed out potential backline attacks in the wide open spaces. This was a satisfying result, but we know we can do better, starting next week at training.



Pakuranga College
22-17 to Pakuranga College
Tries to Jack Graham-Crowther, Dallas Ah Boy Herter, Caide Davis
Conversion by Kack Graham-Crowther

This was a close encounter between two evenly matched sides. Defensively we improved as the match progressed and had the better of the second half.

The potential in the team was evident in our first game of the season.



Auckland Grammar School
63-0 to Auckland Grammar

5C hosted an Auckland Grammar School team which taught the King's side a lesson in physicality, aggression and passion.

Our players need to work on their continued commitment to the team and be prepared to work extremely hard at training to make some much needed improvements. We look forward to a better showing in future weeks.



6th Grade

Grammar Gold
60-0 to King's
Tries to George Hall, Harry Holdsworth, Peter Whyte (2), Ben Snell (2), Harry Marsh, Cole Jodan (2), Tom McGann
Conversions to Nathan Robinson (5) 

This was a very entertaining match for the boys with some excellent running and passing throughout and good clear thought going into the play. Particularly pleasing to see the boys fix early errors and improve on things that they were getting penalised for.

There is plenty to work on before next week, but it was a very satisfying start to the season. A 10 try win is always a difficult feat to achieve so the boys can be pleased with their day out. 

Pukekohe High School away next week should be a stern test.



Takapuna Grammar School
28-22 to Takapuna Grammar

This fixture proved to be a great opening test where both sides struggled with early season uncertainties. King’s led 10-0 at half time and appeared to be nicely in control.

However, Takapuna bounced back in a big way, scoring four second-half converted tries whereas our team only managed to convert one of two, ending up losing a good match played in great spirit.

Plenty of work is required to bring inexperienced players up to a level where we can substitute players with confidence. The squad looks forward to making amends next week.