The play, adapted by Richard George, enabled the production to draw on the magic from both Roald Dahl’s book and the visual feast of the 1971 film.
Directed by Drama teacher Angela Clayton, the students transported the College’s Great Hall into a playful land of make-believe, where rapping Oompa Loompas and squirrels ruled the show.
“We added a touch of the modern world in our creation, and we hope the audience loved our inventions as much as they would have treasured the nostalgic treats,” Angela explains.
Drama student Hugo Gerbich-Pais (Year 10, Averill) who played Mrs Gloop, was thrilled with the production and the way the group came together in the final hours.
“It was an exciting and nervous feeling backstage. As soon as the curtain opened we flicked the switch in our minds from schoolboy to character,” says Hugo. “It was completely exhilarating.”
Performing to large crowds on both nights, Junior Drama’s rendition of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory proved a huge success.
Cast of Characters
- Narrator/The Candyman - Waka Wikaire-James
- Augustus Gloop - Matthew Roycroft
- Veruca Salt - Joel Alexander
- Violet Beauregarde - Nikolai Tripp
- Mike Teavee - Aubrey Huang
- Mr Bucket - Haven Qin
- Grandma Josephine - Luke Davis
- Grandpa George - Tom Ogg
- Grandma Georgina - Monty Matthews
- Mrs Bucket - Flynn Mitchell
- Grandpa Joe - Hugh Malaghan
- Charlie Bucket - Oliver Farag
- Mrs Gloop - Hugo Gerbich-Pais
- Willy Wonka - Anoop Saini
- Mr Salt - Luke Shackleton
- Mrs Beauregarde - Bryon Jepson
- Mr Teavee - Nicholas Reeves
- Oompa-Loompas - Che Clark, Budda Doyle, Chicago Doyle, Gene Garea, Senio Pulega, Lawrence Sullivan
- Squirrels - Flynn Mitchell, Tom Ogg, Jack Gilleece, Benjamin King, Cameron O’Brien, Luca Seerden, Monty Matthews, Luke Davis.