07 Apr 2015

Tuesday 07 April 2015

The King’s College Boys' Hockey team got off to a great start on the first day of the Melbourne Grammar School Hockey Tournament with two victories and some good displays.

On Tuesday morning, the team turned in an impressive display to crush Melbourne High School 7-0. In the first game of the season, the team started slowly and took time to settle into their stride before Arthur Rasmussen broke the deadlock in the 9th minute with a well-taken goal following great individual approach play from Daneel Ovtcharenko.
Oliver Paterson added the second six minutes later when he neatly finished after another pass from Daneel Ovtcharenko.
In the second half, King’s stepped up a gear and added five further goals. Two minutes into the second half, Oliver Paterson added his second and King’s third when he followed up an Daneel Ovtcharenko shot to score on the rebound.
Maxwell Rasmussen notched a glorious fourth when he sent a reverse stick shot high into the net off the underside of the crossbar after an intelligent pass from Keiran Patel, who then grabbed his first goal for the team when he touched home a Zander Fraser pass to make it 5-0 to King’s.
In the dying minutes, King’s put the icing on the cake with two well-worked goals from Zander Fraser, a fierce shot from the top of the circle which never gave the goalkeeper a chance, and another goal for Arthur Rasmussen who was in the right place at the right time again to seal an impressive team performance and grab the seventh.
In the afternoon, King’s had a much tougher assignment against the strong Scotch College team from Melbourne. Both teams demonstrated a high skill level and an end-to-end game resulted. King’s dominated possession and territory but Scotch College was dangerous on the counter-attack.
The excellent pre-season fitness preparation the team has conducted this year made the difference in the second half as they dominated proceedings and started to stamp their authority on the game, but it was not until four minutes from time that King’s claimed the decisive goal of the game. Showing impressive commitment, Arthur Rasmussen won the ball back and then moved into the circle to convert Daniel Easton’s excellent return pass and give King’s the points in a tight 1-0 victory.
Players of the day were Arthur Rasmussen, Zander Fraser and Daneel Ovtcharenko with impressive performances from the newer players to the team, Harrison Langrell-Read, Keiran Patel, Hamish Glen and Daemon van Riele.